Friday, April 25, 2008



Let's Set the Record Straight...


I promised not to take sides in the primaries but all around me I see nothing but attempts at character assassination aimed at Obama and the double dealing from both sides of the deck to accomplish these goals is not only unfair, it is appalling beyond words.

I have been in democratic politics all my life and I have never seen what is passing for legitimate politics these days.

I didn't see it from Bobby Kennedy, John Kennedy, even Johnson against Nixon. I didn't see it from Biden, Edwards, or any of the democratic candidates in the early primaries.

Therefore, it is foolish of me to attempt to be above the fray when everyone around me is taking shots at my candidate, the candidate I came to late in the game because I didn't like what my original nominee was doing to win at any cost..

This week in Philadelphia cinched it for me.

It sounded like Hillary and McCain were on the same team.

She had earlier said that she and McCain were the candidates of experience and that Obama's claim to experience was a speech he gave a year and a half earlier. Okay, I can buy the attack on Obama but I can't accept the fact that Hillary put a republican candidate above the democrat.

Throughout the past week, too, both McCains and Hillary's comments sounded almost word for word the same in their attacks on Obama.

To me, this is dirty dealing and its been dirty dealing since South Carolina when Bill Clinton played the race card by suggesting that Jackson had won there....implying that any black could win in the state and that the voters were racist. Let's not kid ourselves by trying to interpret this otherwise.

Thus began a litany of cheap shots. This after Super Tuesday when Hillary was playing the "nice guy," the poor sweet thing that was being ganged up on.

Give me a break. This woman doesn't know the word sweet.

During the PA campaign, Bill even went so far as to play the race card and then deny it when his words were captured on film.

Hillary has tried to use guilt by association to take Obama down by trying to identify him with his pastor.

She and her team have used every dirty tactic in the book.

And then she screams uncle when she gets it back.

Now, this is very hard for me to say.

I stood up for both of them in the past when the editorials attacked them daily in the nineties.

I gave money to their campaigns--both of them.

And wrote to both regularly.

I even contacted Maureen Dowd's boss on several occasions to claim that Maureen was hitting below the belt and that she should be reprimanded or fired. I did that at least a half a dozen times..

That is now officially over.

I thought that the New York Times editorial on Wednesday said it right.

She has lowered the dignity of the election and has cost the campaign considerable good will.

We see that in the growing support for McCain in the recent polling.

Maureen had it right on Wednesday, too.

I am sorry that it has taken this turn.

But the tactics of her staff and herself have hit a new low with me.

I am deeply offended by her willingness to throw stones without cleaning up her own act.

She has yet to make her position on Iraq clear.

She has not made her position on NAFTA clear.

She has not explained what she intends to do about all of the people who gave her money and she is indebted to.

And as long as we are about it,

Let's not forget that those folks she was talking to lost their jobs in part to the Green Card program that she was pushing indiscriminately that allowed people like Microsoft to hire foreigners without using Americans or the departure of jobs from these shores because of NAFTA, initially approved by her husband.

Let us not forget that Obama didn't cause the loss of jobs.

And if there is a major culprit in Pennsylvania, it is the steel industry that failed to keep up, took the profits and ran.

Moreover, The leading steel company, US Steel filed for a handout from taxpayers and were paid off only to use those monies to buy Marathon Oil. Yes, US Steel and the rest of them violated the trust of their own employees.

And how come that never gets mentioned.

Moreover, Bush & Company gave steel a protective blanket, a tariff for their evil-doings.

It is a sad state when a democrat teams up with a republican in order to win at any cost and mischaracterizes the truth.

To hear a democrat disparage another democrat while talking up the opposition is a new tactic that I have never seen before in democratic politics.

And no one has said anything about it.

Moreover, Hillary has claimed that if Iran goes after any Arab power that has denounced nuclear weapons, she will attack them.

This is way too much like the Imperial presidency of George Bush.

If anything, with her and her husbands spate of remarks about racism, touting McCain and trying to do a character assassination while demonstrating a willingness to take the law into her own hands, it would be remiss for me not to say anything.

Let's not cherry pick articles to show that this candidate who has no chance of winning without attacking her opposition and intimidating the Super Delegates deserves to be our nominee.

If she should happen to pull this off, I will leave think twice about remaining a democrat.

I am that upset.

And I have a lot of company/..

Les Aaron


Politics Blog Top Sites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home