Friday, June 20, 2008

A Rubber Stamp for the Snoops!

What’s going on?

At this point, I’m missing something.

It seems to me that when push comes to shove, what’s the big deal about Congress voting to keep the Constitution on the back-burner again?

To me, it seems like a vote for the communications companies and the president; not the people. What does that do for my rights?

And to see so many democrats falling into line is more than a little troublesome.

The president’s argument is that in order to catch the bad guys, we need to know what they are saying to each other.

Wow! Brain science not.

What is unsaid that this doesn’t involve a Court order.

In short, it’s blanket authority to the president and his NSA snoops and FBI to find out who’s talking to who.

And why should they have that right?

Is that the only way we can catch terrorists?

To me, this seems to condone the continued violation of my privacy and the privacy of others.

Obviously, this continues to suggest that the only way we can catch “terrorists” is by snooping on everyone because as near as I can tell, lot’s of telephone calls are lumped together with the so-called potentially suspicious ones. ( All calls going overseas as near as I can tell are considered suspect!)….. That means innocent people’s calls are tracked the same way as so-called potential terrorists. And nobody’s been able to prove otherwise, especially after a telephone consultant explained how the system tapped into regular phone lines and diverted them through the government’s snooping equipment.

Why then would a Congress who knows the president’s rationale is a crock, would rubber stamp its continuation.

Unless there’s something else here that defies scrutiny, I am wits end to figure out why the guys I elected are saying this kind of behavior is “okay.”

It’s not okay for me.

Maybe because I’m a stuffed shirt who believes in the Constitution.

Maybe because our ultimate sleuths, the FBI, had all the information they needed before the WTC from conventional means and still did not operate on it that I have such little faith in this broken system.

I would rather see our primary law enforcement system broken up and replaced by people who think and communicate; that would do us more good than all of this phony malarkey that Bush tells us we need to save America!

And maybe because I haven’t heard of a single terrorist we”ve caught because of the millions and millions of phone calls we’ve snooped on, I think the whole Mickey Mouse system sucks..

It’s one thing being the collegial type in Congress; it’s quite another to condone running rough shod over our principles.

Let’s return to the rule of law and the Constitution.

The Armchair Curmudgeon

Les Aaron



\Politics Blog Top Sites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home