Monday, May 21, 2007

WHo's Going to Tell the Tourism Board?

Politics Blog Top Sites

Who’s going to tell the Tourism industry?


I told my wife not to make any big plans for December 21, 2012.
You see, that’s the date that very savvy Mayans’ calendar ran out.
What I mean there is nothing scheduled on December 22, 2012 on the Mayan calendar.
No, there are not trying to save on paper, or in this case rock. More likely, they are trying to tell us something…

That wouldn’t worry me so much were it not for the fact that the Mayan calendar seem to be uncannily accurate on predicting the future. They came up right on a whole bunch of projections.

Of course, this gives the religious zealots a good argument for saying I told you so when it comes to the End of Times or what they refer to as the Raptures, a very strange part of the bible that the whacko’s seem to have made their own. I’m not too impressed with zealotry, per se, so I kind of file all of this stuff in the rotary file under my desk. None the less, I do tend to feel a little feel a little brain surge when I learn that it is not only the Mayan calendar and the zealots who are converging on the Armageddon scenario, there’s a whole waiting list that seems to say don’t make too many plans for 2012; or, alternatively, if you have something to do, better do it ahead of time. I mean like a family reunion or a cruise or some other deal you’ve been putting off for the next five years.

I don’t know how to put this gently but when I was living in Eastern Asia, I learned about a pretty famous text that goes back even before the Egyptians. It’s called the I Ching which is kind of an elaborate book of prophecies with which you can gauge the future. …

Using the I Ching is kind of neat. It involves charting your own kind of horoscope based upon the toss of three coins six times. Each time, you toss, in a head and tails type of scenario. You either scribe two short lines or one large one depending on what comes up.. And you go through that six times until you’ve created a kind of personal chart. Then you turn to the I Ching and look up your chart which could be one of 64 set of possible prophecies…Everyone who uses it says it’s uncannily accurate.

One day, a mathematician realized that you could use the I Ching to plot out a whole range of possibilities and then attempt to correlate them with what actually happened to see how accurate the I Ching really is; only you guessed it you could only go as far as you guessed it, December 21, 2012.

Okay, okay, you say it’s circumstantial.

Let’s look elsewhere: Let’s shift to the Oracle of Delphi. You guessed it. The Oracle of Delphi who had an uncanny ability to predict the future refers to the end of the world somewhere around the year 2012.
We might take that with a grain of salt if the Oracles had predicted the attack on Rome by Africans on elephants and their eventual defeat and the rise of Constantine, even identifying him by name, eight hundred years before his time.

The implication in one of the Oracles prophesies was that there would be great tumult around 2008, hmmm? Wars and Natural events that would seem to grow in intensity until there was….well, I guess you can gauge the outcome.

You see the astral signs one derives from reading the charts is that on 2012 there will be a conversion of all the planets. The Mayans, for example, believed that there was something approaching a black hole in the center of the Galaxy and when we lined up all the planets there would be a cataclysmic event.

Does science laugh at this projection by what is thought of as an ancient people.

Heck no, they say that the Mayans are right; that according to their computers, the planets will line up and they have observed a black hole in the center of the galaxy.

What’s worse, Albert Einstein, in one of his papers, suggested that it was possible that if and when the planetsline up, there could be an event that takes place that happened only once before—a shift in the poles with the north pole becoming the south pole, etc. which would lead to all kinds of natural disasters.

This has turned me into a believer; I am only not going anywhere on December 21, 2012, I am going to bury myself into the safest place I can find with a year’s food and water reserves with the Parker Brothers and Scrabble and all the books I’ve been promising to read for years but haven’t. I am also going to take my tapes and a sunlight generator which I am sure they will have by then…

If all of that talk of the End of Days doesn’t get you whacky, I just discovered that it goes back to even that master magician of King Arthur’s Court, Merlin. As it turns out, there really was a Merlin who lived around 400 CE, accounts of whom were assembled in around the 11th Century. It seems he was some kind of wild man with a great record for predicting the future. He was right about so many things that people started taking him seriously, very seriously. . You guessed it. 2012 again!

By now, I’ve had enough and I am definitely cutting out my Christmas trip.

In fact, I’ve started taking this thing so seriously that I am planning on having one continuous party from now to then And then around June 2012 start maxing out my credit cards and buying all the things I’ve denied myself all these years. . Then go for a three month trip to Las Vegas where I will take in every show and order the biggest steaks on the menu and drink all of the best concoctions in the world…

So, if the world does come to an end, hey, I won’t feel like I’ve missed out on anything. And if it doesn’t, I will probably have learned a whole new repertoire that I can practice until it does….

Les Aaron

1 Comments:

At 5:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all beyond coincidental, isn't it? Since noone knows for sure what this inevitable alignment will produce, I plan to follow your lead, by holing up in the safest place I can find (probably my basement bathbub -lol), and stocking up on food and water, lots of crossword puzzles, and my treasured Donny Osmond doll from my teenage years!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home