Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What Should Have Been Said

Want to have a real successful State of the Union Speech, level with the people.
Give a speech that goes like this.

“First of all, ladies and gentlemen, I want to apologize for being such a dick head. Yes, I made a mistake. I made lots of mistakes. And the crowning one is to believe that I can send over our best and brightest to the Middle East and believe that they would literally jump at the opportunity to embrace western democracy. What a dummy I am! And I ask your apologies for that. but mostly, I want to apologize to the mothers, husbands and wives of those lives have been changed by their losses! I want to make amends for all of that.
“And I am going to ask Congress to pass a resolution that will allow each and every one of you to live in comfort and to allow your children to grow up with a good education paid for by the US government.

“Now, let me right some other wrongs!

“Yes, I admit we are hooked onto fossil fuels. Well, I am going to change all that. And I recognize that I have done nothing to change the status quo. I have asked nothing of the automotive industry. I have not asked you to switch away from gas guzzlers. I have not asked the industry to improve fuel efficiency of new cars. I have done nothing to reduce the profits of the giant oil companies and done nothing to reduce prices at the tank. Nor have i done anything to explore new fuel alternatives...and, guess what, I now recognize the failings of my ways and we are going to start to do something now.

“Also, folks, I also recognize that an America that is in debt is going nowhere so I want you to know that I am going back on my word and I am going to eliminate the tax breaks for the rich which have done nothing to kick-start our economy.

“I am going to level with you that job opportunities are way down and we have done nothing to improve the situation. On the other hand, through Fast Track I have served as an enabler for setting up treaties with countries who are bleeding us of jobs. And diminishing the quality of life in this country. As your president, I hereby announce a crusade to change all that, to get us started in new programs in science and technology that will push us to the forefront of our industries.

“I am going to recognize that Silicon Valley did not just happen because of the private sector; that it was the result of a commitment to enterprise and innovation through both the universities and our best minds in the private sector. And we are going to do that again!

“There are so many other things. We are going to put the burning of fossil fuels behind us. We are going to commit to recyclables that are user friendly and friendly for the planet.

“We are going to lead the world in healthy products and we are going to commit to those technologies that help our planet and our people.

“We are going to put OSHA on the front burner again; we're going to respond to Global Warming with a raft of new thinking and new programs.

“And we are going to make people proud to be Americans again; and we are going to commit ourselves to creating a better and brighter world through our hard work, commitment and enterprise. To these noble goals, I and my staff commit ourselves.”. .

Only we didn't hear anything that came remotely close to this and that is the shame...

Instead, we heard the same tired stuff we've been hearing for the last five years, cliches and half-truths that have nothing at all to do with reality.

When are they going to learn that Americans all want the same things...

And that if he leveled with us, we would have listened…

Les Aaron
The HubmasterPolitics Blog Top Sites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home