Wednesday, March 12, 2008



Catch Up Time....






It’s nice to go away for more reasons than one….



For me, it’s a time to start a new reading list, get caught up on my papers which travel with me, try out the new cross words and generally listen to what others with different political views have to say.

I also cart along my national geographics….which I am way behind on….



And I blame it all on a primary that is lasting longer than it took to make the earth in the first place, that is, unless you’re a Darwinian who actually believes that the whales left the ocean in the Permian Age and wandered the earth as bear-like creatures only to return to the abundance of the sea to survive for another 500 million years….



Anyway, I am now reading five books and each of them is great.



One book is about the Nazis and what might have happened had they won.

Pretty, pretty scary. And a lot of facts out of the world of the Eugenicists….This book is well researched and a book within a book; not only does it talk about what might happen, but the protagonist is a Nazi investigator investigating the death of several high ranking Nazi officials....



Good stuff and I don't want to give it away!



Two of the other books I am reading are about the War too and have languishing on my shelves til I got around to reading them. One, Impressions in Green seemed relatively uninteresting until I opened the first page. My God, if you’ve been in Nam, it will blow you away. I am still shaking from the way this guy writes.



The other book is also a classic from the guy named Jones who wrote from Here to Eternity. This is the Thin Red Line and about Guadalcanal but it is really about the soft underbelly of all war…. Absorbing reading and not your average stuff.



The last book is 1776. It is a wonderful chronology of the year that George III decided that he would not allow America to get away with not paying its taxes although he was warned by some of his most informed Lords that to pursue a war would be a costly adventure. I haven’t gotten too far into this book but I have written some stuff on the Battle of Long Island which took place where I used to live and has always fascinated me. Had we lost that battle, we would be a Colony again although I do feel we would have done better than attempting to survive under Bush.



If any of you would like to share your reading with me, I’d appreciate it.



I also have a stack of Bush books waiting my attentions, but I can’t read another word about this guy without regurgitating.



In any event, it is good to be back among my friends and critics.



Best wishes,



Les Aaron


Politics Blog Top Sites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home