Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Little Nostalgia At Holiday Time...

I was in DC this past week and couldn't resist going to the Vietnam Veteran's memorial; the last time I went, it was pouring, the fog hung over the memorial and I and a guide were the only one's there. I was looking for my years which was 59 and 60 since that's when Kennedy came to our group of Advisers seeking volunteers. WHat did we know. We all volunteered.

The last time I went to the Wall, I couldn't get by the first panel as my eyes misted up. This time, I didn't see any of my close buddies on the wall which gave me reason to feel good; but so many names were on the wall that it staggered one's mind. . So I walked it up and down; only this time all the tourists were there with cameras. I didn't see the old vets hanging around in their field gear so I walked up to the concessions. I was looking for an "I" Corps insignia and a 1st Cav insignia. I only had eight bucks and they were five dollars each but the concessionaire gave me a break. I hobbled back on a very bad leg that was swelling by the minute after I fell off some uneven payment and it was killing me.. I drove back to Virginia and somehow felt it had been a worthwhile day. I was going back to see my grandkids and I was thankful that I could spend time with themand see things through their eyes....and I thought maybe that's one of the things that Thanksgiving is all about.

Les




Politics Blog Top Sites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home