Sunday, January 29, 2006

Solving The World's Problems With Salmon Cakes

Hey, Chef Joe, now I know who to go to when I have a cooking idea..."

Yesterday, I made my own version of salmon cakes they are inexpensive and absolutely delicious... I couldn't wait til my wife left to be with the kids!
It's the only time I get to have salmon cakes for dinner. I usually serve them with pea soup for a simple dinner that is quick (once you've made up the cakes, you only need to heat them again in the microwave) and it is delicious. Plus, the ingredients--salmon has those oils that are good for you!...

There are variations to this so feel free to improvise...

First of, you can use a relatively inexpensive can of whole salmon. Shouldn't cost more than two bucks.

Drain the water out; put it in big bowl.

Boil half a dozen red potatoes...

Cut up three medium sized yellow onions... Cut them up reasonably small but don't dice.

Season to taste. I like pepper, salt, parsley, and other seasonings...
Suit yourself here.

Toss into the mix a couple of eggs....

Add about a cup of breadcrumbs...

Toss in the cooked potatoes after you've made them reasonably soft...

Add chives or leaks if you like...

Then get ready to mix the whole batch together.

Don't be afraid of getting your fingers dirty... You got to dig in.

Then make sure the whole mixture is mixed so that it is of a uniform density and maleable like a dough...

Flatten into little pancakes...

In the meantime, heat up some cooking oil about 3/4 of an inch in a large frying pan...

Get the oil real hot!
Don't worry about the mess! Your wife will clean it! (Sure, sure!)...

Put the individual fritters or cakes into the hot oil and cook until a nice crust forms on each side--you will have to flip. Be careful here; you don't want to burn yourself.

Let cool....
And then eat.

I usually get about 9 nice size fritters out of each can...

That's enough for a week's dinners for way less than a dollar per fritter....

Can't beat that!

You know, Joe, after I wrote this up, I thought I would send it to a couple of our friendly lists in case we have some people who like to fool around with cooking...

I am going to eat one tonight for dinner after I go out and get my pea soup ingredients.

Enjoy!!!

Les AAron

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home